Albanese, Dutton Vow to Reclaim Port of Darwin

Anthony Albanese has announced that the government will ensure the Port of Darwin, currently leased by the Chinese company Landbridge, is returned to Australian hands.

Author

  • Michelle Grattan

    Professorial Fellow, University of Canberra

"Australia needs to own the Port of Darwin," the prime minister declared late Friday.

Albanese rang a Darwin radio station after Labor got wind of the fact that Opposition Leader Peter Dutton would on Saturday announce a Coalition government would return the port back to local control.

Both the government and opposition are promising that, if necessary, they would bring the port's lease into public ownership.

Albanese said the government had been seeking a local buyer, but was prepared to acquire the port's lease if that was the only solution.

"We prefer that it be through superannuation funds or some other vehicle that doesn't mean direct taxpayer's funds, but we're prepared to go down the road of taxpayer direct involvement, as well."

Asked to clarify whether the options were that the port remain privately owned or that it be returned to be a government asset, Albanese said, "yes, they are."

The Northern Territory government leased the port to Landbridge in 2015 for about $500 million. The lease was for 99 years.

The federal government at the time was not directly involved in the deal, but the Northern Territory government sought advice from the Defence Department and security agencies, which didn't raise objections. Later, US President Barack Obama chided then-Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for not giving the Americans a heads-up.

The Chinese deal has caused serious controversy in the years since.

When Dutton was defence minister in the Morrison government, his department did a review of the lease.

A statement on Friday from Dutton and shadow ministers said a Coalition government would seek a private operator to take over the lease, but if one could not be found within six months, the government would acquire it "as a last resort".

It would use the Commonwealth's "compulsory acquisition powers", and the government would then compensate the Landbridge Group.

"In the current geopolitical environment, it is vital that this piece of critical infrastructure, which is directly opposite to the Larrakeyah Defence Precinct, is operated by a trusted, Commonwealth approved entity.

"We will appoint a specialist commercial adviser to work with the Northern Territory Government and officials from the Departments of Treasury, Finance, Defence and Infrastructure to provide advice and engage with potential new operators of the port."

Dutton said that a Coalition government would not allow the port to be leased by any entity that is "directly or indirectly controlled by a foreign government, including any state-owned enterprise or sovereign wealth fund."

The Conversation

Michelle Grattan does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.

/Courtesy of The Conversation. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).